What's Your Hobby?

Sunday, January 25, 2015

What's your hobby or hobbies? Some of us have a couple and some of us have loads lol. I like doing lots of different things, I guess it depends on my mood, the weather, the time of day etc. One hobby I found myself interested in a couple of years ago was metal detecting. Not because I was looking to strike it rich, but because I love history and I loved the thought of finding something really old. 

When I first bought my detector back in 2012 (I think) I practiced using it on a local beach. I found AA batteries, soft drink cans, ring pull from cans, bits of foil from food wrappers etc lol My wife on the other hand had a go and found 55 cents lol Due to things going on and life in general, my detector got put into the cupboard - where it still is.



About a month ago as we drove by the beach that we tested the detector on, I commented to my wife that I would like to give it another shot. Then about a week after that, we met up with a friend who mentioned that one of their family members had just bought a detector. So that got me thinking more about it. The problem is finding the time! Plus finding the right location. There's also the issue that since I haven't used it for so long, I've forgotten how it works lol It really isn't as simple as 'waving it all about'. 

I've started checking out the old forums that I used to hangout in, and I've been reading all the 'newbie' info to try and refresh my memory. I haven't actually taken the detector out of the cupboard yet, as I have to re-read the manual regarding the settings for depth, pitch, sensitivity etc etc - See I told you it wasn't as simple as waving it all around lol

I also found some great websites that I hadn't discovered before! One of them allows you to choose a location in the present, then overlay a historical map! It's amazing just from a historical perspective to see what used to be in an area and how much the landscape has changed. At the moment I'm completely hooked on reading all these old maps and I haven't left the house!!! LOL!

Here's an example of this mapping site, it shows where a helipad used to be in 1943:-
Current location image

When you start to overlay the images

The image has been completely overlayed so you're now viewing the 1943 map

I have been looking at areas all over our state, just to see what used to be in certain locations back in history. I love it! :D

Okay, well I'm off! I'll let you get back to your hobbies :)   

2 comments:

  1. I always wanted a metal detector as a kid......that and a label maker?! I do have a label maker now but not a detector :) My hobbies are cross stitch, reading, arts/crafts, and unfortunately, shopping :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I've always wanted a label maker.... I don't have one... Maybe one day lol I still haven't gone out with my detector. Too many other things going on. Have a great Easter!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete