A Quiet Week

Thursday, August 27, 2015

I haven't really got much to write about today, I've been a little under the weather this week, so I've spent some time in front of the TV. You wouldn't believe it, naturally when you're having a TV day along comes a thunderstorm followed by a blackout! There goes the TV day lol

I wasn't up to cross stitching, but I felt like doing something other than just hanging out on the lounge. I remembered that last year I started a latch hook kit, so I went and dug it out, it was something to do that I didn't have to think too hard about lol.



It's called Merry Men, I've not quite hit the halfway mark - I did from about the tops of their mouths up. It's supposed to be a rug once it's finished - but with three dogs running around the house, it would go from a rug to rags in no time! So I've decided that once it's done I'm going to insert a rod into the back of it and turn it into a Christmas wall hanging.... It will be much safer up on the walls than the floor!!



This is what it's supposed to look like when it's finished. They don't actually make this kit anymore and when I wanted it, it took me a long time to track one down.

I did attempt to do something else this week, however it didn't go according to plan. I purchased a day cage for Tango. His normal cage is huge and doesn't fit through a regular size door. When his cage was delivered we actually had to bring it around into the backyard and wheel it through the sliding doors. So I purchased the cage above so that I could take him outside into the sunshine and into the garage with me when I paint my ceramics.


Tango teasing dopey Bob - Yes this is Bob's normal facial expression lol

Because our house is open plan, Tango can see us pretty much all of the time. This is fine, because if he can see us he's happy. However - when he can't see us, for example when you need to go to the loo - He screams blue murder!!! When I say scream, the dogs flinch and you think that at any moment your eardrums will pop and bleed! So given that he needs to see at least one of us to remain happy, I purchased this new cage. 

You see my wife works night shift, so when she's sleeping during the day I can't paint my ceramics because Tango can't see me and when he can't see me he starts screaming like he's trying to wake the dead! So this smaller cage that will fit through doorways is ideal for short periods of time. This way I will be able to transfer him from one cage to another, take him with me into the garage, he'll be able to see me and he'll be happy and quiet. Anyway, back to what didn't go according to plan! The cage was flat packed, so I opened the boxes and checked all the parts against the instructions and two wheels were missing - Just my luck. I rang the pet store, thankfully they remembered me and are going to order two replacement wheels. Tango will have to wait another week before going outside!



I also purchased some more bits for him online and they arrived as I was writing this post. Bird toys are quite expensive and they don't last long at all! I think I spend more money on toys for one bird, than for toys for three dogs! When you own an Eclectus you need to understand that they're highly intelligent birds and need a lot of stimulation, both mental and physical. They're not the kinds of birds that you can just stick in a cage with a mirror and a bell. His toys get rotated (The ones he doesn't destroy), he gets toys that he can chew, some make sounds, some he can shred etc. A bored Eclectus is not a happy bird and when he's not happy, he'll let the world know about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment