The Decisions We Make

Thursday, September 3, 2015

We make decisions everyday of our lives, some are as simple as deciding what to wear, some are much harder. I recently made a decision regarding something which I didn't take lightly. The reason that I didn't take it lightly is because it involves other people and my decision will affect them. I'm not going to disclose this decision here today as it doesn't come into effect yet. However once it does, I will write about this decision, why I made it and why it was hard.



Initially when I came to the conclusion that I had come to a cross road and had to choose which fork in the road to choose, I felt relief after choosing - it was almost immediate. However, now that this choice I have made is becoming more of a reality, it's making me feel quite ill. I don't normally make life choices that affect others, any choices I make are usually small and about myself - what's right for me, how will this affect my day/future etc, do I go to the supermarket before the hardware shop, what will save me time today? Etc. 


Apart from my wife, my sister is the only other person who knows about this choice I have made. I was speaking with her today via Facebook and telling her how I was feeling, after some back and forth conversation my sister said 'Remember why you're doing it'. She was the sane, calm voice of reason that gave me the jolt I needed to remind me that there was a bigger picture here, and this decision was only a small stepping stone within this larger picture.


Don't get me wrong, I still feel somewhat ill. However those five words that my sister wrote on the screen did help calm me a little. I needed someone to point out that I needed to stay focused in the present so that I can move forward onto the next part of the picture. I don't know if it's a bipolar thing, an ADHD thing or just a me thing. But sometimes I do get stuck on something and either can't get around it or see past it. Having someone point out something as simple as 'Remember why you're doing it', enables me to get around that road block and see further down the road.

I guess we all get stuck on things in life and all it takes is the perspective of another who can view the issue from a different angle or who's removed from the situation and can see clearer than yourself to offer advice. I guess the point I'm making here is that you might be stuck and not even realise it, like I was today. Just expressing a current issue you're having with someone else will help, even if all they do is listen. 

Don't keep fears or negative thoughts to yourself because you think there's no alternative or way out, the chances are that you're so consumed by the issue that you're not thinking or viewing it clearly enough. Talk to someone about, if it helps, write about it. I know that writing this blog (when I get time) is quite therapeutic, and hey - if someone else reads it and helps them, then it's a win - win.           

In any case the next time I write will probably be when my decision comes into effect. I will let you know how it goes. Remember - we make decisions for a reason, keep your eye on the bigger picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment