Roadside Memorials

Thursday, October 17, 2013

I saw a video clip this morning on Facebook regarding roadside memorials. It was originally aired on 15/10/13 on Today Tonight, which I don't actually watch. The segment discusses that the state of Queensland will be removing all roadside memorials, and that the Shepparton Council in Victoria would place a 12 month time limit on these memorials. The Shepparton Council has also stated, that if the family of the deceased member wants the memorial to stay in place longer than 12 months, they need to apply for a permit.



I have to say I have always been in two minds over these memorials. . . I don't know if these are just an Australian thing or if families and friends of people killed in vehicle accidents across the globe erect them.

I guess the easiest way for me to explain why I am in two minds regarding these memorials is to list both sides of the coin:-

For The Memorials

- Perhaps to some degree, they do indicate a certain piece of road that is potentially dangerous, especially to drivers unfamiliar with that part of the road....?



Against The Memorials

- I understand that they are erected due to a tragic death. However in saying this, if a family member died tragically or suddenly at home ie drowned in a pool or fell from a roof, would the family of the deceased person erect a memorial where they died in the house or property? I'm guessing not.

- Family and friends who have erected these memorials, say that it's a place to visit and remember their loved one.... I don't want to sound harsh, but isn't that the purpose cemeteries?

- One argument is that they are distracting to drivers. Personally, this has happened to me. I remember not so long ago driving down a local road, when all of a sudden I noticed one of these white crosses had been newly erected, and yes I turned my head, this was my own fault. However, if they want to use the 'it's a distraction drivers' card..... Then remove all of the roadside advertising that drivers are bombarded with everyday.

So I guess I'm more against, than for the memorials. I've never had a family member or friend die in a road accident (and I hope I never do), so it's hard for me to walk their shoes. But if I were to try an imagine it, I couldn't see myself erecting something on the roadside. In fact I would probably do the opposite and avoid driving down that road so that I didn't have to be constantly reminded. 

In saying all of this, yes we all deal with grief in our own ways. Some of us cry, get angry, withdraw, and some people erect memorials. Who's to say what's right and what's wrong? 




This is the Today Tonight video clip if anyone wishes to view the segment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment