About Two Years Ago. . . .

Thursday, June 6, 2013

I want to start this new blog by writing a post about where I was in my life, approximately two years ago. I went to see my GP, as I was no longer in full control of my emotions. I explained to the GP, that for no apparent reason I would go from being in a perfectly good mood, to being in a bad mood, and when I say bad mood, it could range from mildly bad..... to an absolute raging inferno. 

Previously I was able to keep my moods in check, but they had started getting the better of me and were wearing me down. I was exhausted. The GP, without ordering any blood tests, told me that it was a testosterone issue and common with men. I knew that it wasn't, I knew my own body and I debated this with him. He asked if I was sleeping. I told him that I wasn't. The GP concluded that I was 'cranky' due to a lack of sleep. I attempted to tell him that I had always felt like this, but the mood swings had gotten worse and were becoming more difficult to control. He told me to try the sleeping medication. I left the surgery feeling that I had gone unheard. 


I did have the script filled and I have to admit, that actually getting some sleep for once did assist..... For a while anyway. I stayed on the sleeping medication for about eight to nine months. During this time frame, I found that it was becoming less effective the longer I had been taking it. I found myself yet again trying to function on little sleep, and the mood swings were returning to their full force. I was both physically and mentally tired. What was I to do? Clearly there wasn't anything wrong with me or the GP would have told me so, right? 

Wrong! I had actually attended the surgery for a new script, when my new GP asked me what the story was, behind the reason why I was taking this particular medication. I explained the mood swings to him. He asked me if my previous GP (a colleague of his) had offered any psychological services. I stated that he had not. My new GP looked annoyed with the lack of action taken by the other GP. He ordered blood tests to check for any physical issues and wrote referral for me to see a psychologist. 


I think I had met with the psychologist twice, when she stated that she believed that I had bipolar disorder and that I would need to see a psychiatrist. I guess this kind of news would be upsetting for some people, it wasn't for me. I was glad that there was a title for the way I felt as it also meant that there would be some kind of treatment.

My GP gave me a referral to see a psychiatrist who in turn agreed that I did have have bipolar disorder. Let the medication roller coaster begin!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you were already on the medication roller coaster. Hopefully, the coaster will become smoother in the next few weeks...months.

    I'm sorry you've been having such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina,

    Thanks for stopping by :o) It did finally slow down.

    ReplyDelete