Memento Mori Deathling!

Monday, April 16, 2018

A couple of months ago I was looking for a headstone design, not for myself lol but to paint on one of my ceramic pieces. I'd looked on Google images, but nothing was jumping out at me, so I decided that I might look on YouTube for some inspiration. It was there that I stumbled across Ask A Mortician! This channel is run by Caitlin Doughty who's an American funeral homeowner - with a twist!


She's pretty much against everything that your average funeral home owner or employee stands for. Given that I was once employed by a funeral home here in Australia, I "get" where she's coming from and I totally "get" the humour! 


Caitlin has written two books which I own both. I'm 3/4 of the way through Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and it's well worth reading. I don't want to give anything away lol, However, if you would like to read more about her books, you can do so here.


There's a closed group on Facebook called The Deathling Den, which is basically a page for people to discuss Caitlin's books, youtube videos or any other death-related non-conforming topics. Yes, I'm a member lol The group is run by The Order Of The Good Death, this is a charity type group - also powered by Caitlin Doughty - goodness! She's everywhere!!


Anyway, The Deathling Den has started a book club, and yes I have joined the book club too lol The book about to be read and discussed is Ghostland An American History In Haunted Places by Colin Dickey. I'm very much looking forward to reading this book! Although the words "Ghostland" and "Haunted" appear in the title, this book isn't about spooky houses, is more an examination and debunking of these so-called "Haunted Places". My copy is yet to arrive as I had to purchase it from the UK, so I'll have some catching up to do as the club starts reading this week!

Okay, I'm outta here! If you're after more Caitlin info, she has a number of pages on Facebook, she's on Instagram, Twitter and has a website. Just Google her! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment