10 Day You Challenge - Day Six - Five Foods

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day Six - Five Foods

Okay, I've picked three cuisines and two of my general favourite foods :o)



1. Mexican - I love Mexican food because I love beans, I love chips, and I love chilli. Mexican food ticks all of these boxes. It can be eaten formal or informal - by this I mean, that if you're going to eat nachos.... You're going to use your hands! It can be as simple as you want or as elaborate as you want. I have a Chilli Chocolate Con Carne recipe that takes quite a bit of time, but the end result is worth it! It is also sooo different to the meat and three veg that I grew up on! :o)



2. Thai - Chinese was the typical Asian food that, Aussie kids grew up on in my generation (geez I sound old!!) As a kid I had never heard of Thai food.. It was Chinese. When I discovered Thai food as a teenager....OMG! What I love about Thai food is that, the flavours are created with herbs and spices, not heavy sauces. The dishes are often quite simple which is what I love. There is also none of that "OMG I am soooo thirsty!!!" that is often experienced after eating other Asian dishes... Provided that the Thai restaurant that you go to, doesn't use MSG or huge amounts of salt. 



3. Japanese - What can I say? Look at it! It's so pretty and precise. I love both cold Japanese dishes like sushi and hot dishes, like teriyaki. I make sushi when we have people over for dinner, it is time consuming, but it tastes great! :o) The trick is getting your hands on the right seafood, using the wrong cut of fish, or the wrong fish is where you will come undone.     



4. Beans - I love beans for their versatility. You can throw them in a soup, stew, pasta, dip or just have them on toast! They come in all shapes, sizes, textures and tastes. So many people look right past them, as they can often be considered bland or boring, but not me. I will cook with them at any opportunity.  



5. Hot chips - What's not to love about hot chips? I don't think I've met a person yet who doesn't love them. Okay, so they're not that healthy.... But I'm not writing a health blog lol I love my hot chips with chicken salt and sauce :o)

2 comments:

  1. I've never had Japanese food! Sushi wasn't all that plentiful in rural Ireland in the 80s haha :D I do love Mexican, tacos are my all-time favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had sushi I hated it! Yeah when I lived in the mountains it was hard to come by also lol Try the hot food first :o) I really like the new crispy chicken that you have on soft taco shells... Yum!

    ReplyDelete